Reason is a DAW published by Propellerhead Software. Reasons layout emulates that of an infinite 19" rack, with audio and CV routing being achieved by patching cables between devices.
From the Propellerhead site:
"Reason is a virtual studio rack with all the tools and instruments you need to turn your ideas into music. With its generous sound bank and intuitive flow, Reason helps you along in the creative process and is the music software that never gets in your way.
Walk into any professional recording studio and you will see racks filled to the brim with different tools used in music production from reverb to compressors, vocoders, synths, distortion units, and parametric EQs. The studio's rack is the heart of its creative factory. Reason and Record are no different. That is why we have outfitted your computer with a virtual rack filled with all the same gear. They look and function exactly like their hardware cousins. Even better, they sound just as good too.
Unlike a real studio, however, if you want another synth or an extra compressor you can create one from a menu rather than taking that second job or signing up for those experimental clinical drug trials."
- Mixer 14:2 - 14 channel stereo mixer with 4 Aux send/returns and a 2 band EQ per channel.
- Line Mixer 6:2 - 6 channel stereo mixer with 1 Aux send/return per channel.
- Subtractor Analog Synthesizer - 2 oscillator + noise analog emulating synthesizer.
- Thor Polysonic Synthesizer - 3 oscillator multi-mode synthesizer with step sequencer.
- Malström Graintable Synthesizer - 2 oscillator granular/wavetable hybrid synthesizer.
- NN19 Digital Sampler - Single sample digital sampler.
- NN-XT Advanced Sampler - 16 output multi-sampler.
- Dr. Octo Rex Loop Player - Sampler that handles 'Recycle' loops.
- Redrum Drum Computer - 16 channel TR-909 style drum machine with step sequencer.
- Kong Drum Designer - MPC style drum machine with effects bus.
- MClass Equalizer - 2 band parametric EQ with high and low shelf and 30Hz cut.
- MClass Stereo Imager - Stereo field processor with sweepable crossover.
- MClass Compressor - Compressor with sidechain input.
- MClass Maximizer - Look ahead limiter with soft clipper.
- RV7000 Advanced Reverb - Algorithm based reverb unit with EQ and Gate controls.
- Scream 4 Distortion - Multi-mode distortion unit with body controls.
- BV512 Digital Vocoder - 512 band vocoder.
- RV-7 Digital Reverb - Algorithm based reverb unit.
- DDL-1 Digital Delay Line - Simple delay unit.
- D-11 Foldback Distortion - Simple distortion unit.
- ECF-42 Envelope Controlled Filter - Envelope controlled filter.
- CF-101 Chorus/Flanger - Chorus & flanger.
- PH-90 Phaser - Phaser.
- UN-16 Unison - Analog 'drift' emulator.
- COMP-01 Compressor/Limiter - Simple compressor & limiter.
- PEQ-2 Two Band Parametric EQ - 2 band parametric EQ.